Tuesday 7 May 2013

Active Listening

Question: Do I find myself speaking too soon?
Answer: Yes, sometimes I find myself speaking too soon. It is most likely because I am very excited and want others to know what I have been through/experienced.

Question: How can I clear my mind to fully listen?
Answer: I have to remind myself that the speaker is still talking and place myself in his shoes, if I am speaking, I would not want others to interrupt what I want to say as my train of thoughts would be broken and I would not remember what I want to say. I have to respect the speaker too, so that he or she would respect me when its my turn speaking.

Question: Do you ever find yourself wanting to jump in because you are too excited?
Answer: Yes, definitely! Its just like a 'virus' or should I say habit. We are so prone to such acts that it becomes a habit, that whenever you are placed in the same situation, we would react the same way. Most of the time is it because we are too excited and want other to know what we have been through so that they would admire us.

Question: How can you channel your excitement into listening and wait for the proper opportunity to share?
Answer: We can write it down incase we forgot and when the speaker ended his or her speech, we can say, 'To add on to what (speaker's name) just said, ... ...' that way we can let others know our experience and be respectful to the speaker too! :)

Question: What else can you do to prepare for conversations with others?
Answer: We can write down what we want to say in point forms. That way we can remember it better. Another alternative is making mindmaps in your heads. We must also have a respectful attitude and a listening ear as if we do not listen, we would be able to come up with the appropriate answers to the questions and have a conversation.

Question: Can we ask them up front what they are looking for?
Answer: Yes we should ask them directly instead of beating around the bush. To me, being straight forward is batter than beating around the bush as we would get an answer immediately. I would only beat around the bush if I am shy about the topic etc.

Question: How does it make you feel to be cut off in the middle of your thought?
Answer: I would be very angry and irritated. When I am speaking, I feel that I should receive respect from the audience, thus when it is their turn, I would also give them respect and listen to what they want to say instead and break their train of thoughts.        

No comments:

Post a Comment